Monday, April 02, 2012

Home

I have been thinking a lot lately about what that word means. I used to focus so much on that time in the future when we would own a place of our own and be able to do what we (or I) wanted with it. To me, that thing in the future was a home. What I have come to realize now is that I have been blessed to have many, many homes.

I got further affirmation of that this weekend walking into our not so impressive, one bedroom apartment in a Best Western in Milwaukee. It felt like home. Do you know why...because it is my home. I got the best feeling of welcome and safety and peace and love. My home is wherever I am with the 2 people who mean the most to me. It is the space my family shares that was dedicated by my priesthood holding husband.

I think if you were to ask Tate what "home" means...well, he would probably "moo" or "tu-tu"...but if he could form a sentence, I think he would say, "Home is where mommy, daddy, and I live." To him "home" isn't an address or any one place in particular, it is more of a feeling. And that makes me happy. I could stress that my son hasn't lived in one place longer than 4 months at a time during his little lifetime, but I don't (anymore). He is getting to experience so much, and, honestly, won't remember this time much.

This home that we share now isn't decorated with anything fancy, just the furniture it came with. The things that decorate my home tonight are a pile of books Tate reads daily, Zachary's boots which Tate takes out of the closet 20+ times a day to "moo" at, bins of food storage that won't fit in the cabinets, medical books and my daily journal on a desk, a basket full of cars, and a sweet smelling blue blanket. The point is that everything that decorates my home is just what we need and all of it makes me happy.

So, until that day in the future comes when we settle down somewhere and buy a house, I look forward to the chance to have many more home for making many more wonderful memories. I will forever be grateful for the simplicity of making a home filled with people and things I love and topped off with the peaceful assurance of the spirit of the Lord.

Found this on pinterest and think I may need to make it part of my decor one day!!

5 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Amen sister!

Rondi said...

Oh Amber, that was beautiful. Wish all people thought like you do.

Tamara said...

That was so sweet. :)

Anjane' said...

I love this Amber!

Andrew Hite said...

If you haven't already heard it, you should listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y

It's called Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and that picture of the poster you found on PInterest reminds me of the chorus.